Computer Science Teacher, Ridgewood Community High School
After discovering in July 2017 that no state-level advocacy group for K-12 Computer Science Education had yet existed in Illinois, Steve founded CS4IL, a 501(c)(3) non-profit intended to serve that exact purpose. With little more than a personal credit card, Steve decided to launch CS4IL in the spirit of creating a network of individuals spanning all regions of Illinois and representing the many stakeholder groups vested in the organization’s Mission to achieve a world-class Computer Science education for every student, in every school, throughout the state of Illinois. Steve is also founder and elected President of the Chicago Suburban Chapter of the Computer Science Teachers’ Association since its launch in 2012, the elected Chair of the Illinois State Board of Education Computer Science Education Task Force, and was Principal Writer of its Report and Recommendations to the 100th Illinois General Assembly. He has worked extensively with state and federal legislators, the Illinois State Board of Education, lobbyists, school and district administrators, parents and guardians, teachers, academic researchers and computer scientists, and members of the technology industry on addressing this equity issue of the highest order.
Steve holds two decades of high school teaching experience, several years as a school administrator, a Master of Science in Computer Science from DePaul University, and a Master of Arts in Educational Leadership from Olivet-Nazarene University. He is currently a full-time Computer Science teacher at Ridgewood Community High School in Norridge, Illinois, where this fall he will teach AP Computer Science A, Introduction to Cybersecurity, a dual-credit Introduction to Programming course for all freshmen, and an enrichment program for freshmen who have committed to pursuing computing as a career pathway. Steve has consulted with the College Board, the Illinois State Board of Education, the University of Chicago/Outliers, Code.org, and the National Math and Science Initiative.
Most importantly, Steve is blessed with two children and a wife who collectively remind him daily of the power of laughter, patience, and love to truly be of service to others.Additional Qualifications
Founder of CS4ILContact Information
- Services Provided
- Consulting Keynotes Professional Development and Teacher Training Technical Implementation Webinars
- Assessment/evaluations/standards Competency based learning Computer science and computational thinking Design Thinking Digital citizenship Digital equity Emergent technologies Game-based learning and gamification Innovation Instructional design and delivery Maker activities and programs Online tools, apps and resources Open educational resources Project-, problem- and challenge-based learning Relevancy in Education Safety, security and student data privacy Social Media STEM Storytelling and multimedia Technology planning and evaluation
- 6-8 9-12
- 1 Hour Sessions 3 Hour Sessions 6 Hour Sessions Ongoing Support
- School Holidays/Breaks Summer Weekends
- Contact the Presenter for Fees