Doug Levin, the CEO and Founder of EdTech Strategies, kicked off the event by sharing his work tracking publicly school cybersecurity incidents as part of the K-12 Cyber Incident Map, driving home the point that schools across the county, including Illinois, are dealing with cybersecurity incidents.
Breakout sessions and whole group conversations throughout the day were facilitated by Ross Lemke, the Director of the U.S. Department of Education’s Privacy and Technical Assistance Center; Chris Hill, the Chief Information Security Officer for the Illinois Department of Innovation and Technology; and Chris Wherley, the Learning Technology Center’s Network and Technology Services Coordinator.
As the day progressed, common themes surfaced in many sessions: school districts are vulnerable, communication and planning
In case you missed the events, here are the presentations and resources:
- FERPA 201, Ross Lemke
- FERPA and Data Security, Managing Risk when Everything is Broken, Ross Lemke
- How to Prepare for the Unexpected, Chris Wherley
- Improving Baseline Controls, Doug Levin
- Keynote, Doug Levin
- Leaders Managing Risk, Doug Levin
- Progression Cybersecurity Strategy, Chris Hill
- Resources and websites shared during the day
Among our favorite tools referenced are: