Let’s face it- if adults can’t navigate our media landscape, how can we expect students to do so? How do we separate fact from fiction with news and basic information? How do we address the divided standards that each school→ district→ state uses to address this? Let’s look at media literacy- through the lense of science, and help our students (and teachers) make decisions based on scientific inquiry.
Attendees will be able to:
– Practice using a model of scientific inquiry to decide the fact or fiction of media stories
– Discover how media sites and platforms use strategies to muddle the truth
– Uncover how local media often masks their identity to engage or push agendas
– Decide whether media claims are fact based on only the information provided
– Synthesize a strategy for navigating the news with students- using science.