Each week, the Illinois Student Privacy Alliance (ISPA) produces a variety of new resources that may be useful to schools across the state. Here are a few of our newest SOPPA-related resources, as well as complete listings of all of the new originating data privacy agreements added to the Student Data Privacy Consortium (SDPC) database over the course of this past week.
The April 6 session of “All Things SOPPA” has been canceled. The next webinar in this series will be held the following Tuesday, April 13.
Resources for your SOPPA Workflow
All of these resources and a calendar of upcoming SOPPA-related events can also be found on the LTC’s ISPA homepage.
- SDPC Login
- IL-NDPA v1.0a
- Using ISPA to Comply with SOPPA (Flowchart)
- Managing Agreements with ISPA (Flowchart)
- YouTube Playlists for “All Things SOPPA” and “Using ISPA/SDPC Database”
- All Things SOPPA Slide Deck
- Weekly ISPA Resource Updates
All Things SOPPA – March 30, 2021
A recording of the March 23, 2021, All Things SOPPA webinar can be found on the LTC’s YouTube channel.
Select How-To’s by Subject
- 28:55 View All State DPAs to Find Agreements
- 31:20 Reviewing an Originating Agreement
- 35:06 Using Automatic Exhibit E Creator
- 38:00 Prepare Exhibit E for someone else to sign
- 43:33 Using Resource Listing on your District Website
Full Webinar by Chapter
- 0:00 Introduction
- 3:52 What is SOPPA?
- 7:01 Statistics
- 8:16 New Originating Agreements
- 8:42 Tips and Suggestions – IL-NDPA v1.0a
- 12:00 Tips and Suggestions – Compression and Naming of Agreements before upload
- 14:02 Tips and Suggestions – Feature Enhancement – http://bit.ly/MakeISPABetter
- 15:10 ISBE Update for IASB Press Policies and Procedures
- 15:56 SOPPA for Teachers Resources Slide Deck and On-Demand Webinar Information
- 16:37 Resources – https://ltcillinois.org/services/ispa
- 17:53 Resources – New Videos – Using the ISPA/SDPC Database by Sean Mullins
- 21:47 Questions, Experiences, Comments
- 28:55 How To – View All State DPAs to Find Agreements
- 31:20 How To – Reviewing an Originating Agreement
- 35:06 How To – Using Automatic Exhibit E Creator
- 38:00 How To – Prepare Exhibit E for someone else to sign – View Prepared Exhibit Es
- 41:15 More Questions
- 43:33 How To – Using Resource Listing on your District Website
- 46:19 More Questions
Stay Up-to-Date with SOPPA
One of the keys to SOPPA compliance is staying on top of the latest recommendations and suggestions from seasoned experts. The LTC makes that easy through our weekly “All Things SOPPA” webinar series.
Each Tuesday, join the LTC’s Chris Wherley for a focused discussion on the process and procedures of achieving SOPPA compliance. Participants will have an opportunity to ask questions and share their experiences with peers around Illinois, as well as receive the latest SOPPA updates as July 1 approaches.
Be sure to bookmark the LTC’s Data Privacy hub, as well. There, you’ll find regular updates about the latest best practices for protecting student data – including new resources for achieving SOPPA compliance.
Many of the resources and updates above are provided regularly to Illinois Student Privacy Alliance (ISPA) members. ISPA is a free consortium that allows school districts to access tools and resources for managing data privacy agreements. When used in conjunction with clear policies and procedures, ISPA allows districts to comply with Illinois’ new Student Online Personal Protection Act (SOPPA).
All Illinois school districts are invited to join ISPA. Membership is free and can offer districts access to resources through the Student Data Privacy Consortium (SDPC), a collection of 31 states working collaboratively to address similar data privacy concerns and legislation.
To learn more about ISPA and its benefits to all Illinois school districts, visit the group’s homepage on the LTC website. Questions about joining ISPA can be directed to Angela Veatch at email@example.com.